Lesson Plans & Guiding Questions
After reviewing Woods’ module, students will examine stereotypes in their community and work collaboratively to identify the problem and develop a plan of action to foil the negative social atmosphere or foil more formal propaganda.
For Grade Level(s): 11–12 Honor/Regular
Time Needed: Three to five days
1. What are common stereotypes about the Middle East?
2. Where do these stereotypes come from? Where do you see them?
3. Think about a moment when you changed your beliefs about something or someone. What caused you to make that change? How could that tactic be applied to stereotypes about the Middle East?
Examining Images for Meaning
Using peer groups, students will examine several images from the image bank to see what is expressed, what message the image constructs and to what trope that image belongs.
For Grade Level(s): 9–12 Regular & honors
Time Needed: Three class periods
1. Describe what you see in the image.
2. Does it match the tropes discussed in this lesson? Which ones? In what way?
3. Have you seen images matching these tropes before? Where? How did you respond?