Lesson Plans & Guiding Questions
The Diversity of the Geography of the Middle East
Students will examine the map of the Middle East and a series of visuals/images that illustrate the variations of the region.
For Grade Level(s): Grades 9–12
Time Needed: An introductory lesson—one class period
1. What are the characteristics of the geography of the Middle East?
2. In what ways do the photos/visuals of the Middle East inform student understandings of the Middle East?
3. How are stereotypes challenged by visual evidence?
The Peoples of the Middle East
Students will examine the variety of groups that populate the Middle East.
For Grade Level(s): 9–12
Time Needed: Three to four class days
1. Given the geographic diversity of the region, what groups populate the Middle East? How are their history and culture reflective of the geography?
2. How does this short research project inform our understandings of the Middle East? What else do we need to know about this region of the world?