Lesson Plans & Guiding Questions
Introducing Islam to the West: Defining Islam as a world religion in the context of other monotheistic religions.
Students will be introduced to Islam as a world religion. Students will learn and understand the basic doctrine and historical background of Islam using original and secondary sources.
For Grade Level(s): 8–12
Time Needed: 6–8 sessions
1. How is Islam portrayed in the Western media?
2. What are the contributing factors in the perceptions or misperceptions in the West about Islam?
3.What steps can be taken to present a more accurate image of Islam and Islamic civilization?
A Comparative Study of the Golden Age of Islam and the
Age of Enlightenment
A comparative analysis of both time periods in history and their significant contributions.
For Grade Level(s): 9–12
Time Needed: 5–6 class sessions
1. What were the driving forces behind the Age of Enlightenment and the Golden Age of Islam?
2. What are the legacies of these two time periods?
3. Is it possible to use these intellectual movements to create a bridge to improve communication between Islam and the West?